Apr 7, 2013

Garden

This year I really want to plant and grow my own vegetables. In our new house our backyard isn't huge but it is big enough to have a garden that will be a pretty good size. So I have been doing lots of research about what to plant and what season to plant them in because in Florida the heat can be so intense for small plants that some will not survive like they would in a northern area. I am also going to build a 16ft. X 8ft. garden box so I can make sure it gets the right amount of water and the proper soil for our veggies. I just can't wait for the kids to be able to pick the veggies for dinner right here in our backyard. I am so excited just thinking about this. My mom used to do that for me. When I was little I lived in PA and my mom had this huge garden on the hill on the side yard and let me tell you we were outside everyday weeding, watering, picking and planting and I remember those days so fondly. Some of the things she grew I loved and some I didn't but that's okay because you know it came from our own yard. It is so funny how trends come back in full circle because I remember in my early 20's telling my mom- why do you have a garden just go to the store and it is so cheap, but now I understand so much more and I don't want all those unknown chemicals going on my food for my family. I figured if I have my own garden I have so much more control over what we are putting into our body.

Here is how I am getting started on planting our garden. First,  I saved some eggshells and washed them out and that is what we are going to grow our seedlings in. 



Here are some pictures of the plants right after I planted the seeds. I also saved the popsicle sticks and broke them in half and wrote down what was planted in each container. Now I used 2 different containers to put them in. I used one that is biodegradable and the other one is plastic so I will have to pull the shell out and just plant it right in the ground when the big garden is ready. My plan is to grow the seedlings and then by the time they are ready to go in the garden the garden box will be ready. (I hope my plan works). 
I will keep you posted on the garden update as soon as more happens. Right now it's like watching an egg hatch- not much happens! 

HAPPY GARDENING!

No comments:

Post a Comment