Apr 2, 2013

Easter cookie baskets


I know this is a late post but I tell ya the days just keep flying by, but anyways here is a treat that we made this Easter weekend. It can be either a birds nest or an Easter basket. We went with the birds nest because it needed less candy to assemble. Also, in the basket you need grass and it needed coconut that is dyed but my children do not like coconut flakes so that was a no brainer in our house. Then you just add a string of candy like Twizzlers for the handle and you have a basket. But don't forget to add holes where you want to add the handle as soon as you take it out of the oven because it will too hard to put in later. But they were super cute and easy to make. The kids loved decorating their own nests and then we shared them with family at Easter brunch.

Aren't they darling!
 All you do is get the cookie dough that is precut in squares
and place them in a mini muffin tin. Then put your thumb in the middle of the dough and spread gently a little of the dough up the sides. Bake at the temperature on the package. Mine was 350 for 13-15 min. I kept checking on mine because I didn't want them to burn. They raise up really nice in the oven too but when you take them out just let them cool for about 20 min and you will see the middle will settle back down and make a really nice whole for the nest or basket.

                          Here are some of the treats we used- bunny marshmallows and jelly beans.


The kids had such a fun time decorating the nests. I put the icing in the middle only because I didn't want them to fight over it or have any more messes to clean up. 


Here is the icing I used. I picked this up at the store for another occasion and didn't need it so I was excited to try it for this one. I mixed it with cotton candy and was it YUMMY!!!!! I looked like a little kid because when they were decorating I was licking the spoon. I just couldn't help myself. 
I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment